Bayardo E. Alemán is a Shareholder in the Labor & Employment Department. He represents employers and management in all areas of labor & employment law, including defending employment discrimination, retaliation, whistleblower lawsuits, and sexual harassment lawsuits. Bayardo has extensive experience litigating non-solicitation and non-competition agreements, and defending wage and hour lawsuits for employers in a wide range of industries. He also represents clients in ERISA litigation, including defending claims seeking recovery of health insurance benefits.
Bayardo counsels employers on day-to-day human resources issues and frequently speaks and conducts trainings on labor & employment issues in English and Spanish. He is a regular contributor to the firm’s labor and employment law blog, BeLabor the Point.
- Obtained summary judgment victory in federal court for multinational food distributor against former employee seeking overtime wages due to alleged misclassification.
- Obtained permanent injunction on behalf of multinational food distributor against former employee in violation of non-competition agreement.
- Obtained permanent injunction on behalf of multinational bank against former employee in violation of non-solicitation agreement.
- Successfully defended several arbitration grievances on behalf of international sugar producer, resulting in the upholding of discipline for employee misconduct.
- Successfully defended multinational food distributor in lawsuit alleging violation of a non-competition agreement.
- Obtained victory for bank client in state court lawsuit brought by former employee claiming unpaid wages.
- Obtained summary judgment victory in state court for aerospace company in lawsuit brought by former employee claiming whistleblower status and alleging retaliation, and successfully defended appeal of state court’s dismissal.
- Successfully secured dismissal of over 30 lawsuits in state and federal courts arising out of the denial of health benefits claims.
- Obtained summary judgment victory in state court for healthcare company seeking to enforce non-competition agreement against former employee.
- Obtained summary judgment victory in federal court for educational institution in lawsuit brought by former employee alleging pregnancy discrimination.
- Obtained summary judgment victory in federal court for multinational bank in lawsuit brought by former temporary employee alleging sexual harassment and retaliation.
- Obtained summary judgment victory for international hotel in lawsuit alleging disability discrimination and retaliation by former employee.
- Obtained summary judgment victory in state court for national supermarket chain manager in lawsuit by former employee alleging tortious interference with a business relationship.
- Obtained summary judgment victory in state court for local hospitality client in lawsuit brought by former employee for unpaid wages following employee’s termination.
- Defends employers before federal, state, and local administrative enforcement agencies on a full range of employment related claims, including conducting internal investigations of discrimination and harassment claims.
- Pro bono: Representing Central American juvenile in obtaining permanent status visa for the United States.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Defense Research Institute – Employment and Labor Law and Life, Health and Disability Committees
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- The Florida Bar, Labor and Employment Law Section, Member
- South Florida Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Doral Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Put Something Back, Pro Bono Project
- Lawyers for Children America, Inc.
- American Bar Association, Member
- Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2017-2018
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, “40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida,” 2016
- Benchmark Litigation, “Top Litigator Under 40,” 2018
Publications & Presentations
Employing Workers with Student Debt? Bipartisan Bill Could Help.
BeLabor the Point Blog|November 2018
Investigating Harassment Complaints Post Weinstein - Are You Prepared?
Stearns Weaver Miller's 28th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|April 2018
FMLA and ADA 101: What Every Manager Needs to Know!
The Doral Chamber of Commerce|April 2018
Florida Employment Laws
Sanchelima & Associates|March 2018
“What Did You Make at Your Last Job?” – Is That Still a Question?
BeLabor the Point Blog|February 2018
Human Resources Essentials and Legal Perspectives for your Business
Doral Chamber of Commerce|February 2018
What In-House Counsel Needs to Know about Employment Laws
Desayuno con CABA|January 2018
Employment Law Update: Medical Marijuana, Paid Sick Leave, Arbitration, Trade Secrets Act Seminar
Doral Chamber of Commerce|July 2017
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Named Among Benchmark Litigation’s 2018 “Under 40 Hot List”
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
Bayardo Alemán Named Among 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida by Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 26th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 25th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 24th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar